Thursday, March 5, 2009

vim with tab

Like many of those who work with vim. I was also having so many vim windows or xterm windows with vi session in my workspace when I’ve to open handful of files. Well, not anymore after vim 7.0. Now I keep the files open in "tabs" :-).

After reading couple of articles on vim with tabs I tried compiling the 7.2 version of vim source and got some linking errors. It was some library path issue with GTK libraries. I decided to go for athena. So I tried "./configure --enable-gui=athena" and "make install" and it works like charm.


I really like that copy paste from one tab into another and so on. Well, I have no intensions of arguing whether some other editor(s) support these capabilities are not. I love to have these features in vim.

The following information from "/src/INSTALL" helped me. All credits to vim team.

These configure arguments can be used to select which GUI to use:
--enable-gui=gtk or: gtk2, motif, athena or auto
--disable-gtk-check
--disable-motif-check
--disable-athena-check

--enable-gui defaults to "auto", so it will automatically look for a GUI (in
the order of GTK, Motif, then Athena). If one is found, then is uses it and
does not proceed to check any of the remaining ones. Otherwise, it moves on
to the next one.

I've read (only) the vim tips from "http://www.linux.com/feature/59533". Happy vim’ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment